apply for unemployment online michigan

(WLUC) - As Michigan's economy continues to improve, “With record numbers of Michiganders filing for benefits during the pandemic. New PUA claims can now be filed online at also now reopen their claim to receive an additional 11 weeks of benefits. Online applications are recommended because of increased call volumes in the past week, but those seeking to file a claim for benefits can also.

Apply for unemployment online michigan -

How to apply for unemployment benefits in Michigan amid coronavirus crisis

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed an executive order extending unemployment insurance benefits to workers who are home caring for sick relatives or taking care of their children during the coronavirus pandemic.  Also, anyone losing work as a result of the crisis is advised to apply. 

Whitmer’s executive order extends unemployment benefits to workers who have an “unanticipated family care responsibility,” including child care responsibilities because of school closures. It also covers workers who are sick, quarantined or immunocompromised but do not have paid medical leave or are laid off, along with first responders who become ill or are quarantined because of the exposure to COVID-19.

Online applications are recommended because of increased call volumes in the past week, but those seeking to file a claim for benefits can also call 1-866-500-0017 to apply.

Because of the large increase in working families seeking unemployment benefits, the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) has developed a schedule for workers to file for benefits based on the first letter of their last name:

Online Filing Schedule -

  • Last names beginning with letters A-L are asked to file claims on Mondays, Wednesday, Fridays.
  • Last names beginning with letters M-Z are asked to file claims on Sundays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays.
  • Saturdays will be available for anyone to accommodate those who could not file during their allotted window. 

Call Center Filing Schedule - 866-500-0017:

  • Last names beginning with letters A-L are asked to call on Mondays and Wednesdays between  8:00am – 5:00pm.
  • Last names beginning with letters M-Z are asked to call on Tuesdays and Thursdays between  8:00am – 5:00pm.
  • Fridays (8:00am – 5:00pm) will be available for anyone to accommodate those who could not file during their allotted window.

To file a claim, you need:

  • Your Social Security Number, driver's license number, state identification or MARVIN PIN (if you have one)
  • If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, you will need your alien registration number and the expiration date of your work authorization.
  • Names and addresses of employers you have worked for in the past 18 months, including quarterly gross earnings and the last date of employment with each.

Your application for benefits will be evaluated to determine whether you are eligible for benefits and how much money you may receive. 

Michigan increased unemployment benefits for workers to 26 weeks on March 16 as a result of the coronavirus crisis. The day or time of day in which a claim is filed will not impact whether a worker receives benefits or their benefit amount. Additionally, claims will be back-dated to reflect the date in which a claimant was laid-off or let go from their job due to COVID-19. The eligibility window to apply has also been increased from 14 to 28 days from the date of their work stoppage.

The recently passed federal CARES act will extend Pandemic Unemployment Assistance and Compensation to self-employed, 1099-independent contractors, gig and low-wage workers in Michigan. Guidance and information about this program will soon be available on the state of Michigan’s website.

​The state also expanded a work-share program for qualifying business that could help avoid mass layoffs by splitting the cost of employees. A participating business could scale back worker hours and ask unemployment insurance to make up the difference in lost pay.

Employers with questions about workers’ unemployment may contact Michigan’s Unemployment Insurance Agency, Office of Employer Ombudsman at 1-855-484-2636.



COVID-19 and Unemployment Compensation Benefits


    1. How has the pandemic affected Michigan unemployment benefits?
    2. How do the Governor’s executive orders expand who is eligible for unemployment?
    3. If I’m on unemployment, do I need to be looking for a job right now?
    4. How has the pandemic affected federal unemployment benefits?
    5. Who is eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)?
    6. How do I apply for PUA?
    7. Will my unemployment benefits be taxed?
    8. Will my unemployment benefits affect my eligibility for Medicaid or other programs?
    9. I’m afraid to go to work because I might get coronavirus.  Will refusing to go negatively affect my unemployment benefits?
    10. I’m not sure if I qualify for unemployment.  Should I apply?
    11. How do I apply for unemployment?
    12. How does my immigration status impact filing for unemployment and vice-versa?
    13. If I am denied unemployment, how can I protest the decision?
    14. My protest was denied.  Now what?
    15. Someone on Facebook said I should . . .
    16. When do my emergency benefits end?

How has the pandemic affected Michigan unemployment benefits? – Back to Top

Executive Orders from Governor Whitmer have introduced these changes:

  • The maximum duration of benefits is now 26 weeks.
  • You are no longer required to be actively looking for work in order to receive benefits (the work search requirement of MES Act 28(1)(a) has been suspended).
  • If you leave work for certain COVID-related reasons (see below), you are still be considered eligible under the voluntary quit provisions (though you may be ineligible for other reasons). If you’re on a leave of absence due to COVID, you are eligible under MES Act 48(3), unless you were already on paid sick or disability leave.
  • You have more time to file an application for unemployment benefits. 

How do the Governor’s executive orders expand who is eligible for unemployment? – Back to Top

The Governor’s executive orders allow certain people to receive unemployment benefits, including:

  • People who can’t work because of family care responsibilities. For example, those who don’t have childcare due to school and daycare closures, and those who are taking care of sick loved ones.
  • People who don’t have access to paid leave and are sick, quarantined, or can’t work because their immune system is compromised (weakened).
  • First responders who become sick or are quarantined because of exposure to COVID-19.

If I’m on unemployment, do I need to be looking for a job right now? – Back to Top

No. Michigan law normally requires that those receiving unemployment compensation are actively searching for work. In light of the pandemic, however, this “work search” requirement has been suspended. 

If you are on the federal PEUC-extended unemployment, there is technically a work search requirement, but the state will be flexible in applying it. For example, being in quarantine is a perfectly acceptable response that would satisfy the work search requirement. 

In either case, continue to certify and answer questions honestly and thoroughly.

How has the pandemic affected federal unemployment benefits? – Back to Top

Congress passed the Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Recovery (CARES) Act. 

First, the Act created Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, or “PUA.”  PUA provides comparable state benefits to people who would not normally qualify for unemployment.  If you worked in 2019-2020 but did not qualify for UI, you might qualify for PUA.  People with limited earnings or work history may qualify. Independent contractors, gig workers, and freelancers are especially likely to qualify.

PUA provides benefits based on a claimant’s recent earnings, from a minimum of one-half the state average weekly UI benefit. PUA benefits run up to 39 weeks and may be paid for the weeks ending January 27th through December 31st of 2020.

Second, the Act provides Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC).  PEUC acts to extend the state UI benefits period by up to 13 weeks. If you were close to exhausting your state benefits, they might have been extended by PEUC. 

The federal PEUC extension and the Governor’s Executive Order extension are cumulative. That means, claimants may be eligible for a total of up to 39 weeks (26 + 13) of benefits.

Third, the Act provided Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (PUC). PUC was a flat $600 per week benefit to everyone receiving unemployment benefits. PUC was given from the week ending April 4 through the week ending July 25, 2020.

Who is eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)? – Back to Top

Individuals are eligible for PUA if they do not qualify for regular unemployment benefits (as described above) and cannot work because they:

  • Are diagnosed with COVID-19 or have COVID-19 symptoms and are seeking diagnosis;
  • Have a member of the household who is diagnosed with COVID-19;
  • Are providing care for a family or household member diagnosed with COVID-19;
  • Are the primary caregiver for a child whose school or care facility is closed, due to COVID-19;
  • Are unable to reach their place of employment due to an imposed quarantine, or because a medical provider advised them to self-quarantine, due to COVID-19;
  • Were scheduled to start new employment and cannot reach the workplace as a direct result of COVID-19;
  • Became the major breadwinner because the head of household died from COVID-19;
  • Quit their job as a direct result of COVID-19;
  • Had their place of employment closed as a direct result of COVID-19; or
  • Meet any additional criteria specified by the U.S. Secretary of Labor.

Individuals are not eligible for PUA if they can telework or are receiving paid sick leave or other paid leave benefits (regardless of meeting a category listed above). If you qualify for state UI, you do not qualify for PUA. 

People that are eligible for PUA will receive the state benefit of up to $362 per week.  The benefit amount will be based on amount of wages earned during 2019 and 2020. To claim PUA you should collect and submit evidence of your previous wages from 2019 and 2020, to maximize the benefits you can receive. 

If you receive a notice that you are not eligible for state benefits, log in to your MiWAM account, click on the link that says, “File a PUA Application,” and answer a few questions before submitting your application.

How do I apply for PUA? – Back to Top

If you were already denied state benefits, you can log in to your MiWAM account at to complete the next steps for federal benefits. Look under the Account Alerts tab for a link to “File a PUA Application.”

Once you complete your PUA application, you should receive a confirmation number.  After your application is processed, you should get a claim number and additional instructions from the Agency.

Be sure to answer questions honestly and thoroughly.

Will my unemployment benefits be taxed? – Back to Top

Yes. All unemployment compensation, including the extra $600 per week, is taxable like regular income.

Will my unemployment benefits affect my eligibility for Medicaid or other programs? – Back to Top

It depends. The state benefit (up to $362) will be counted as income for Medicaid or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) eligibility, but the extra $600 federal benefit will not. Both the regular state benefit and the extra $600 will be counted in determining eligibility for SNAP (food stamps). 

I’m afraid to go to work because I might get coronavirus. Will refusing to go negatively affect my unemployment benefits? – Back to Top

Possibly. There are circumstances in which you can qualify for unemployment if you are concerned that going to work could cause you to get coronavirus.

People who leave work during the state of emergency for the following reasons will be considered to be involuntarily unemployed under the Governor’s executive order:

  • They are immune-compromised and at heightened risk of contracting the virus
  • They showed symptoms of the virus
  • They came into contact with someone who has been diagnosed with the virus
  • They are the caretaker for someone who has been diagnosed with the virus
  • As a result of government-mandated closures, they need to stay at home to take care of someone in their family (e.g. taking care of a child because schools are closed)
  • They are on a leave of absence due to the virus (pre-existing sick leave or disability leave or other paid leave does not count)

If you feel that you must quit to protect your health, you may risk losing your unemployment status. Employees who quit can remain eligible if they prove that they left for a compelling work-related reason. If it gets to this stage you may want to find legal help, and should collect and preserve as much evidence as you can to support your case. If your employer is following state and federal workplace protocol, then your case will be a lot weaker.

Employers should take the health and safety of their employees seriously. If you do not fall into one of the categories above and have health concerns surrounding returning to work, you might want to check out the standards and guidelines released by the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MiOSHA) to learn more.

Michigan law includes guidance for employees on how to leave their employment for medical reasons and still remain eligible for unemployment benefits. The employee must do three things before leaving:

  • get a statement from a medical professional that says continuing in the current job would be harmful to the employee’s physical or mental health;
  • ask their employer for alternative work—and have this request denied; and
  • ask their employer for a leave of absence to last until the employee’s mental or physical health will no longer be harmed by the current job—and have this request denied. 

I’m not sure if I qualify for unemployment. Should I apply? – Back to Top

Yes. Answer the questions in the application process truthfully. This will enable the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) to determine whether you are eligible. The Governor’s executive orders and the CARES Act expanded eligibility, so a lot of people who have traditionally been unable to receive unemployment benefits are now eligible. If you are out of work and have not yet applied, you should apply.

How do I apply for unemployment? – Back to Top

The Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency has created a series of how-to videos to help employees navigate the unemployment system and file a claim. You can find these videos here.

There are two ways to file a new claim or re-open an existing claim:

  • FASTEST AND PREFERRED METHOD: Online – Visit  and sign into MILogin to access or create an account on the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM).
  • Telephone – Call 1-866-500-0017. If you are hearing impaired, TTY service is available at 1-866-366-0004.

There are certain days you should apply:

  • If your last name starts with A-L: You can apply online on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
  • If your last name starts with M-Z: You can apply online on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
  • If you missed your day, you can apply online on Saturdays.

People who would prefer to file their application over the phone can call 1-866-500-0017 between 8:00 am and 5:00pm.

  • If your last name starts with A-L, you can call on Mondays and Wednesdays.
  • If your last name starts with M-Z, you can call Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • If you miss your day, you can call Fridays.

Even with this new schedule, there may be long hold times when calling. There also could be problems accessing the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM) website because of the large number of people trying to use it. If you can’t get through, try again later. 

For step-by-step instructions on creating a MiWAM account, view the MiWAM Toolkit for Claimants at

You will need the following information to file a claim:

  • Your social security card
    • Your state issued driver’s license or ID card number or your MARVIN PIN (if you have one)
    • The names and addresses of employers you worked for during the past 18 months along with your quarterly gross earnings
    • The first and last date of employment with each employer
    • Your most recent employer’s Federal Employer ID number (FEIN) and Employer Account Number (EAN). Depending on your situation, knowing the account number may speed up the processing of your claim.
    • If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, you will need your Alien Registration card and the expiration date of your work authorization.

You must certify your eligibility every two weeks to receive payment. The preferred method of certifying is online, although phone certification is also available.

  • Online: Visit and sign into MILogin to access your MiWAM account. Your online account is accessible seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
    • By Phone: Call MARVIN at 1-866-638-3993, Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

How does my immigration status impact filing for unemployment and vice-versa? – Back to Top

Most non-citizens with a valid employment authorization or social security number are eligible for expanded unemployment benefits under the CARES Act. If you are undocumented or only have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), you are not eligible for unemployment insurance.

When applying for unemployment benefits, you will need to show: (1) Proof of valid work authorization and (2) Proof that you earned enough “qualifying wages” during the past six months. For wages to be qualifying, you must be a U.S. citizen or have a qualifying immigration status at the time that you apply for benefits.

Receiving unemployment benefits will NOT negatively affect your immigration status, regardless of the new “public charge” rule. See United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) information on this here. Never file for unemployment benefits with a social security number that is not yours. This is considered fraud or identity theft and can have serious civil and criminal consequences.

Those receiving PUA benefits must be authorized to work in the United States.  Unfortunately, undocumented workers are not eligible to receive PUA.

If I am denied unemployment, how can I protest the decision? – Back to Top

You may protest a denial of benefits online or in writing. To safeguard your rights, you must submit the protest within 30 days from the “Mail Date” of the decision you are protesting. The Mail Date of most determinations can be found on the top-right half of the first page, along with a Letter ID, Claim number, and your name. Please note that the Mail Date may be a few days prior to the date you actually received the determination, so you should file your protest as soon as possible to make sure you stay within the 30-day deadline.

If protesting online, look for your most recent determination status and find the link highlighted in blue that says “Protest.” Click the link and answer all questions as truthfully and fully as possible. You may have an opportunity to provide supporting documents such as pay stubs, doctor’s notes, tax returns— upload these if they support your reason for protesting.

If protesting in writing, look at the determination you are protesting and find the subheading called “Protest Rights.” This heading will provide the name of the form you need to fill out and directions for its completion. For most cases, this will be the UIA 1733 Protest of a Determination (see first page of link), which will be mailed along with the determination. If you were not mailed a Protest form, you may print one off online under the “Forms” tab or use the link above. Just like with online protests, you may include copies of any supporting documents. Be as thorough and honest as possible, include all required identifying information, and double-check that you have addressed the documents properly before you send them.

Note that written protests may take a few days longer to be delivered than online protests. Because the agency measures deadlines based on when it receives your protest rather than when you mail it, you should mail as soon as possible.    

Finally, you may fax a copy of your completed protest form and supporting documents to the Agency number listed under Protest Rights.

Don’t forget to sign and date the form. After receiving your protest, the UIA will issue a redetermination.  

My protest was denied. Now what? – Back to Top

If your protest is denied, you will have 30 days from the “Mail Date” of the redetermination to file an appeal. The process for appealing a redetermination is mostly the same as that for protesting the initial determination: simply use the other side (second page of link) of the UIA 1733 form, or select the appropriate Protest button from within your MiWAM webpage.

After submitting an appeal within 30 days of the redetermination, the Agency will send you a Notice of Hearing. At the time of your hearing, you and whatever advocate may be assisting you will meet before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). These hearings usually take place over the phone. A representative or employee of the Agency may also be on the call to ask questions and make statements.   

If you reach the point of having a hearing, you may want to get legal advice. No matter what, be honest. Dishonesty in a hearing or appeal frequently leads to trouble and you may even be prosecuted for fraud. 

Decisions by an administrative law judge may be appealed as well. If you believe you have a good reason to appeal the decision of an ALJ, you should seek legal help and make sure you meet all deadlines.  Decisions of the ALJ may ultimately be appealed to the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Appeals Commission.

Someone on Facebook said I should… – Back to Top

There are a lot of people requesting and sharing advice online for how best to navigate unemployment issues. You should not solicit or rely on advice from these communities.  While most people are well-intentioned, their advice will usually not apply to your specific case.

The best way to preserve your rights is to be honest and to seek legal help. If you are confused by a question asked by the agency, answer it to the best of your ability and send the Agency a message explaining your confusion and why you answered the way you did. If possible, find a legal representative who can help you understand your case. 

The Agency is very serious about prosecuting people for fraud. If you copy answers from an online forum or a friend for the purpose of cutting in line or gaming the system, not only will it not work, you might lose all of the benefits you would otherwise have been owed, and even be forced to pay back what you have received – plus a hefty penalty.  

When do my emergency benefits end? – Back to Top

The $600/week federal supplement for those on PUA and state UI assistance ended on July 25, 2020. Pandemic Employment Assistance through the CARES Act will expire on December 31, 2020. 

On August 18, 2020, the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency applied to the United States Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) for funding that would provide an additional $300 per week payment to Michiganders receiving unemployment benefits. This request was approved on August 21, 2020. Eligible claimants will be paid benefits retroactive to August 1, 2020. It is not clear when this funding will end. To receive the extra $300 per week in unemployment benefits, Michigan workers should continue to certify bi-weekly. You do not need to contact the UIA or make changes to your MiWAM account to receive these additional benefits.

The effects of Governor Whitmer’s Executive Orders are scheduled to continue as long as the state of emergency and disaster in Michigan continues. The Governor’s latest order extends the state of emergency through October 1, 2020.


Michigan activates extended unemployment insurance benefits

LANSING — The Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency has announced that the unemployment insurance benefits period has been lengthened under the Federal Extended Benefits program.

The UIA implements the EB program that pays unemployment benefits during periods of high unemployment to workers who exhausted their basic entitlement to regular state and federal Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation benefits. EB is a program that provides an extension of benefits to those who can establish/have established a state unemployment claim.

EB provides up to 20 weeks of additional benefits to workers who have exhausted their regular benefits (26 weeks maximum) and PEUC (13 weeks). Primarily federally funded, the EB program kicks in when the state’s unemployment rate averages 8% or higher for three consecutive months.

“The Extended Benefit program will provide a much-needed safety net for Michiganders who have exhausted their current benefits and are still dealing with the long-term effects of unemployment due to COVID-19,” said UIA Director Steve Gray.

Eligibility for EB will be determined in the same manner as regular unemployment benefits. Claimants must be unemployed or underemployed and be able to work and available for work. The program’s weekly benefit amount is the same as the individual received for regular state unemployment insurance. Claimants can expect to be notified through their chosen communication method of the extension. They must continue to file their bi-weekly certification and will not need to complete a separate application.

Work Share

The State’s Work Share program continues to support the economy by helping employers who are still experiencing decreases in customer demand supplement their payroll. Since March 15, the program has helped preserve the state trust fund by providing $465 million in federal benefits to workers. Michigan’s Work Share program was first in the nation during COVID-19 with more than 2,500 Michigan employers and nearly 97,000 employees enrolled at the peak of the pandemic.

Paying Unemployment Claims

Since March 15, nearly 2.3 million certifying, potentially eligible claimants have applied for state and federal benefits, with nearly $24 billion in benefits paid to 2.2 million workers, or roughly 96% of potentially eligible, certifying claimants. There are currently around 80,000 claimants needing ID verification and around 13,000 in the adjudication process which requires a one-on-one review of their claim.

Unemployment Fraud

Recently unemployment agencies across the country have observed a significant uptick in attempted fraudulent activity coinciding with the implementation of the Lost Wages Assistances program which provided an additional $300 in weekly benefits from July 26 to Sept. 5, 2020.

The higher supplemental benefit attracts additional criminal attention and unemployment agencies across the country remain under attack. These cases have been flagged for identity verification to prevent payment and have increased the number of claimants needing ID verification from around 28,000 to 80,000 over the last two weeks.

The UIA continues to work to prevent criminals from stealing benefits and is also partnering with Attorney General Dana Nessel’s task force and state and federal partners to identify alleged fraud that can be quickly turned over to law enforcement for prosecution.

Protect Against Unemployment ID Theft

When an individual files a claim for unemployment insurance, they will receive a written Monetary Determination letter. If you receive this letter (Form UIA 1575C) and you have not applied for unemployment benefits, or the name on the form is not yours, you may be a victim of identity theft. If this happens, contact the UIA immediately online at through the Report Identity Theft link. More tips on how to prevent unemployment identity theft in Michigan are available online.

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox


Getting or Renewing a U.S. Passport

Please note updated changes to the passport application and renewal process due to the coronavirus pandemic.

How to Apply for a U.S. Passport

Please note: Passport operations continue to be affected by COVID-19. And processing times change throughout the year. Check the status of passport operations to see current processing times and more.

U.S. Passport Eligibility

To have a U.S. passport, you need to be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization or be a U.S. national.

Passport Book and Passport Card

Depending on where you are traveling outside of the U.S., you will need to determine if you need a passport book or a passport card.

  • A passport book is required for all international travel by air.

  • To enter the United States at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, you can use a passport book or a passport card.

  • A passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book, but it cannot be used for international travel by air.

How to Apply for a U.S. Passport

The application process is the same for either the passport book or card, even if you want both at the same time. You have to go in person to present your application.

From Within the United States

  • If you need to get a passport in seven weeks or less, you will need an expedited process. To find out where you need to go and what additional fees you’ll pay, follow the steps to get a passport quickly.

  • If you will be traveling in more than seven weeks, you can follow the regular application process and apply in person at a passport acceptance facility.

From Outside the United States

Items You Need to Apply for a U.S. Passport

  • Application Form - To complete the application for a passport book, card, or both together, first do one of the following:

    • Fill out the application online. Use the Passport Application Wizard to step through the process of filling out the application. When you’ve completed the application, print it out to take to the passport acceptance facility. Passport applications cannot be submitted online.

    • Fill out the application by hand. Download the passport application form (DS-11) and instructions and complete the application by hand, or go to a local passport acceptance facility to get a copy to fill out.

      • Whether you fill it out online or by hand, it is important that you do not sign the form until you are instructed to do so in front of a passport designated official you will meet when applying in person.

  • Personal documents - You’ll need to bring all of the following:

    • An original proof of citizenship document

    • An acceptable photo ID document

    • A photocopy of the front and back of the citizenship document and photo ID document

  • Passport photo - Follow the photo requirements.

  • Payment - Calculate your passport fees.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport

Please note: Passport operations continue to be affected by COVID-19. And processing times change throughout the year. Check the status of passport operations to see current processing times and more.

Every person, regardless of age, must have their own passport to travel internationally by air.

Eligibility to Renew a U.S. Passport

To have a U.S. passport, you need to be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization or be a qualifying U.S. national.

You can renew your current or expired U.S. passport unless your passport was:

  • Issued before your 16th birthday

  • Issued 15 or more years ago

  • Damaged, lost, or stolen

  • Issued in your previous name and you do not have a legal document like a marriage license to prove your legal name change

If any of these are true, you cannot renew your passport. Instead, you must apply for a new passport in person using form DS-11.

How to Renew Your Passport

You may be eligible to submit a passport renewal application by mail.

If you need to get a passport quickly, you will need to have your passport renewal expedited and pay additional fees.

  • To make an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency, call 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793 Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 10 PM ET. The appointment line is closed on weekends and federal holidays.   
    • At your appointment, you’ll need to provide proof of immediate travel, an expedited fee, and the items listed below to renew your passport.

If you live outside the U.S. or Canada: Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate near you for information and forms on all passports requested from overseas.

Items You Need to Renew Your Passport

The Passport Services Office returns the official documents you submit as supporting documentation.

Tips on When to Renew Your Passport

  • Renew your passport approximately nine months before it expires.

  • Check the expiration date because certain countries require passports to remain valid for up to six months after travel. Also, some airlines do not allow you to board if you do not meet this requirement.

  • If you travel frequently, check the “52 page” box at the top of your passport application to receive a larger passport book with 52 pages.

For more information, see these frequently asked questions about passports. 

How to Get a Passport Quickly

Please note: Passport operations continue to be affected by COVID-19. And processing times change throughout the year. Check the status of passport operations to see current processing times and more.

Emergency or Urgent Travel

Under normal conditions, you can request an appointment at a passport agency if you:

  • Are traveling within 72 hours (three business days).This is only in an emergency such as a serious illness, injury, or death in your immediate family.

  • Have urgent travel within two weeks. You must have proof of immediate international travel (for example, purchased airline or cruise tickets).

To make an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency to submit your application in person, call 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793 Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 10 PM ET. The appointment line is closed on weekends and federal holidays.

Expedited Service for Non-Urgent Travel

If you do not have urgent travel, you can request expedited service.

Expedited service costs an extra $60, plus any delivery costs.   

Passports for Minors Under the Age of 18

The Department of State has rules to prevent children from being issued U.S. passports without the consent of both parents. It also has programs to protect children involved in custody disputes. They work to prevent a parent from taking a child abroad without the other parent's consent. 

Most Children Must Apply for Passports in Person 

Except for some 16 and 17-year-olds, all children must apply for a U.S. passport in person at a passport acceptance facility. 

Children Under 16

Children under 16 need consent from both parents.

  • The best way is for both parents to go with their child to apply.  

  • If one parent can not go, the parent in attendance must provide either:

    • The absent parent’s statement of consent or

    • Evidence of why the absent parent is not there 

See step 7, Show Parental Consent on the State Department's Children Under 16 passport page for forms to use and documents to provide.

Children 16 or 17 Years Old

Sixteen and 17-year-olds can:

Applying for a Child's Passport From Outside the U.S.

If you're living overseas, contact a U.S. embassy or consulate in the country you're in for information on how to apply for your child's passport.

Protections for Children in Custody Disputes 

If you think your child has been abducted internationally, call the Department of  State at 1-888-407-4747. Ask to speak to a prevention officer.

The Department of State has other resources to help parents and children in custody disputes. 

Check the Status of Your Passport

Please note: Passport operations continue to be affected by COVID-19. Check the status of passport operations to see current processing times and more.

Passport application processing times vary depending on the time of year. You can check the application’s status online six weeks after applying.

If you have questions about passports, go to the State Department's website.

Passport Fees

Fees for renewing or getting a new passport depend on several factors such as:

  • If you are only getting a passport card, or
  • If you opt for expedited service

The passport application fee and the execution fee are non-refundable. They are collected and retained by law even if a passport is not issued.

You can find the fees you may have to pay using these State Department resources:

If you are outside the U.S., ask your U.S. Embassy or consulate what forms of payment they are able to accept. This applies to passport renewals or applications for new passports.

Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Last Updated: November 3, 2021


Due to the massive volume of unemployment claims filed as the result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the state of Michigan has struggled to process claims on a timely basis.  Technical challenges, lack of personnel to handle incoming phone calls, and new federal programs taxed their existing system and caused significant delays for people seeking unemployment benefits. Michigan has since quadrupled the number of personnel to process claims and handle phone calls, improving its ability to approve claims and pay out benefits. 

File For Free to Claim Your Stimulus Tax Credits & Missing Payments

The Michigan (MI) Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (DOLEO) oversees a variety of employment, housing, and economic development initiatives for the state. The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) is tasked with carrying out the unemployment insurance program, including processing claims and paying benefits for the federally funded enhanced benefit programs. These have been extended several times after enactment last year. Jump to the relevant program extension to see more details around eligibility, payment dates/issues and weeks of coverage.

Please also see the hundred of comments at the end of the article where people have shared their stories, tips and struggles getting paid under one or more of these programs.

Stay In the Know:Subscribe via email or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube

25-week Unemployment Program Extensions Under Biden ARP Stimulus Package

Under President Biden’s $1.9 trillion federal coronavirus relief package, known as the American Rescue Plan (ARP), enhanced unemployment benefits will be extended until September 6th (week ending September 4th in Michigan). This includes the following extensions:

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) – The PUA program, designed for freelancers, gig workers and independent contractors or those that generally don’t qualify for regular state unemployment, has been extended by another 29 weeks (though actual weeks covered is 25). This brings the total number of weeks in the program to 79. The minimum PUA payment is still 50% of a states average weekly benefit amount and limited to the state’s maximum weekly benefit amount (WBA).

Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) – The new stimulus bill funds another 25 weeks of weekly supplementary/extra unemployment at the current $300 level. Payments for the $300 weekly payment will continue until early September for a total of 25 weeks and eligible claimants – those getting at least $1 from state and federal unemployment programs – can get a maximum of $7,500 if they qualify for all weeks covered in this new extension. The other $100 supplementary payment for Mixed Earners (MEUC) was also extended by 25 weeks.

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) – The PEUC program, which extends coverage for those who have exhausted regular and extended state unemployment, has also been extended for another 29 weeks (though actual weeks covered is 25), bringing the total amount of PEUC coverage to 53 weeks.

There also provisions in the Biden Stimulus package for Unemployment tax breaks on the first $10,200 of benefits.

Payment Status of 25-week Extensions in Michigan – Latest News and Status on PUA, PEUC and $300 FPUC

Once the bill is signed into law by President Biden, the Department of Labor (DOL) will prepare and issue formal guidelines for states to implement the 25-week extensions. There could be a lapse in benefits as the CAA program coverage may end before states can update their program/systems to enable the 25-week of extensions funded under the ARP Program. I will post updates as they are released so stay tuned via the options below.

Claimants should continue to submit certifications as usual until the MI UIA implements the extensions. Contacting the UIA customer service number regarding the new legislation will not yield any additional information. I will post updates as the UIA releases additional information and you can follow via the options below.

Stay In the Know:Subscribe via email or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube

Extended Benefits Program

The State’s Extended Benefits (EB) program, which is mostly federally funded, has also ended now as Michigan is no longer considered to be in a period of high unemployment. EB is triggered when a state’s jobless rate averages more than 8% for three consecutive months. This program provided up to 13 weeks of additional benefits and for claimants who have already been paid their maximum weeks of EB, their EB claim is considered exhausted and there are no more weeks of benefits under that program available. New claims cannot be filed for EB benefits either and job less workers would need to rely on the latest round of stimulus funded extensions.

2021 Unemployment Program Extensions Under COVID Relief Bill

The $900 billion COVID-19 relief package or Continued Assistance Act (CAA) was passed into law on Dec. 27, 2020, which among several other pandemic relief measures extends and provides additional federal funding for enhanced unemployment benefits. This includes the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) and a reinstatement, but halving of the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) Program which provides a $300 supplemental weekly unemployment payment.

These programs have been funded and extended for 11 weeks (on top of any state funded extensions), covering the weeks of December 27th, 2020 to March 14th, 2021. To receive the extra $300 FPUC weekly benefit, you must be receiving UI, PEUC, EB, or PUA for that given week.

Michigan (MI) UIA Payment Updates on 2021 Extensions – Latest News and Status on PUA, PEUC and $300 FPUC

Feb 21st Update: The Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency has completed ALL system updates for the extended federal unemployment insurance (UI) programs under the CAA. All Eligible Claimants can now certify, reopen claims or apply for the extended 11 weeks of PUA and PEUC benefits funded under the CAA. This includes claims that had been exhausted once the original CARES Act weeks had expired. Claimants will be notified by UIA that they may apply for the extended programs beginning January 30. I have summarized the latest UIA guidance in the chart below. You can also see this video for MI PUA and PEUC updates.

Michigan (MI) UIA Payment Updates on 2021 Extensions under PUA and PEUC Unemployment Programs

If you notice any further delays of have any questions, leave a comment below. Otherwise stay tuned for further updates and possible 2021 extensions.

Stay In the Know:Subscribe via email or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube


Jan 29th update: UIA is still in the process of programming new system changes necessary to begin additional payments for PEUC and PUA claimants who have exhausted their benefit allowance on or before Dec. 26, 2020. The target date to complete the changes necessary to implement the additional 11 weeks on all PEUC and PUA claims is Jan. 30, 2021. Certification and payments will likely start flowing the week after that.

Claimants who did not exhaust their original 13 weeks of PEUC or their original 39 weeks of PUA will be able to claim the balance of remaining weeks beginning with the week ending Jan. 2, 2021. Payments will include the additional $300 Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) benefit. However once they use up their benefit weeks, they will need to wait till the UIA makes their system updates to claim the extra 11 weeks.

From January 12th, the Michigan UIA has started issuing $300 weekly payments to claimants on regular state unemployment insurance (UI) and Extended Benefit programs. Claimants do not need to take any action to receive this additional weekly benefit, it will be paid automatically after certification.

From January 17th, those who were getting UI benefits under the PEUC and PUA and had benefit weeks remaining on their claim as of Dec. 26, 2020 (“active claimants”), can now begin certifying their claims through their MiWAM accounts. They will be able to claim the balance of remaining weeks beginning with the week ending Jan. 2, 2021. Payments will automatically include the additional $300 Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) benefit.

Claimants who Exhausted Benefits. Jobless workers on PUA or PEUC) who had exhausted their balances/weeks remaining prior to or on Dec 26, 2020 continue to have no actions to take at this time. Certifications and payments will not be issued for weeks after Dec. 26, 2020 until technical updates to the UI system are completed. The Michigan Labor Department is actively working on updates to their systems to extend benefits and renew the FPUC $300 supplemental payments to this group of claimants. They will be made whole once the extensions are fully implemented. You can see more on the $300 payment in this video tracking state payments.

UI claimants with existing or expired claim balances should be aware of the following general guidelines:

  • PUA and PEUC, FPUC will be automatically added to the claimants’ benefits if they are eligible for the weeks outlined in the new legislation.
  • Claimants with weeks remaining in UI should continue to file weekly claims (where possible)
  • Claimants who will have additional weeks in UI and PUA or PEUC due to state provisions (where applicable) should watch their state agency UI portal or website for updates that will allow additional weeks to be filed.
  • Claimants will be retroactively caught up on payments for all weeks they are eligible.
  • Claimants currently receiving benefits through the Extended Benefits program must finish all weeks of EB before receiving additional weeks of PEUC.

Extra $300 Unemployment under Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) program – NOW EXPIRED

The Michigan DOL/UIA has completed paying out on the Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) program which provided an additional $300 per week to Michiganders who are unemployed due to COVID-19.  Claimants whose current weekly benefit amount (WBA) is at least $100 received the additional $300 per week retroactive to the week ending August 1, 2020.

As of September 10th, the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) has started processing payments for Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) for eligible Michiganders. Due to the large volume of payments to be processed, workers will begin receiving LWA payments over the next week to ten days (to the end of September).

Payment Delays: MI Unemployment had a system crash last month and are trying to implement the self-certify questionnaire for UI claimants not on PUA. It was explained that when the LWA was first implemented it only mentioned/included PUA claimants as eligible. Since then, it has been realized that many UI claims need to be able to certify that they are off due to Covid also. They are now figuring out how to include these claims and get those under UI certified for the LWA. So you could be seeing delays because of this. See more on the MI LWA page.

The new Lost Wages program however does cut the federal benefit ($600 FPUC) in half for Michiganders since the state cannot afford to boost the benefit by the additional $100 state contribution requested by Trump.

COVID 19 Enhanced Benefits Under the CARES Act

Under the CARES act, there are three types of federal unemployment assistance available:

• Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA): expands eligibility for individuals who are typically ineligible for Unemployment benefits, including independent contractors, self-employed, and “gig” workers.  Recipients may receive up to 39 weeks of benefits under this program.

• Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC): adds $600 per week in addition to the regular benefits that recipients of Unemployment Insurance are entitled to receive; the benefit is retroactive to the week ending April 4, 2020, and the program expired on July 25, 2020. This program has now expired; however, the UIA includes the following on their website;

“While the President has enacted a series of executive orders regarding unemployment benefits, this program has not yet been implemented. All states are currently awaiting guidance from the US Department of Labor regarding implementation. There is no further information at this time. Stay tuned for updates.” a series of executive orders regarding unemployment benefits, this program has not yet

• Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC): provides an additional 13 weeks of Unemployment benefits to recipients of regular unemployment insurance.

The continued rise in the state’s unemployment rate caused Michigan to trigger 13 weeks of extended state benefits to those who have exhausted all other state and federal unemployment aid without returning to work permanently.  The Extended Benefit (EB) program was triggered on April 26, 2020. The EB program runs through December 26 and applies to unemployed individuals who have exhausted regular unemployment and PEUC benefits, whichever is later.

Web and/or phone issues with accessing the Michigan Unemployment system

Lack of personnel, technical difficulties, and the high volume of claims filed due to the coronavirus have strained Michigan’s unemployment system. Due to the unprecedented number of claims, the UIA encourages filing online. To speed up the online process, it is recommended that claims be filed online during the non-peak hours between 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM. The UIA acknowledges that load times may be slow on the website. They suggest giving pages time to load instead of clicking on links multiple times.

Existing Claimants: Claimants receiving unemployment benefits due to the coronavirus emergency must continue to certify every two weeks to receive the additional FPUC $600/week benefit. The extra $600/week compensation is retroactive to the week ending April 4 and ends on July 25. FPUC payments are automatically added to the weekly benefit payment. The UIA began issuing FPUC payments on April 10. Upon exhausting regular and PEUC benefits, eligible claimants must apply for the EB program. Existing claimants should track their current balance online to determine when to apply for EB.

Filing a Claim

You must create a new account through the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM) here if you are filing a claim for the first time. Once you have created a username and password, log on to access online benefit services to complete your application.

Existing claimants can log in here to file their weekly claims. The days that you may file a claim online or over the phone are based on the first letter of your last name. You can then check the status of your claim here.

To receive unemployment benefits, you must certify for benefits every two weeks.  Certifications can be done online or over the phone. The certification schedule is based on the first letter of your last name. If you fail to certify during the reporting week, you need to tell the UIA as to why you are late as they determine if you are eligible to receive benefits for those two weeks. If you do not have good cause for filing late, your benefits may be denied for that period.

If there is a problem with your claim that must be resolved before benefits can be paid, or if you have been denied benefits and are appealing the determination, you must still certify for and claim your benefits on time. If it is determined that you are eligible or if you win your appeal, you will be paid these benefits retroactively. However, if you have not claimed benefits and you win your appeal, you will not be paid for these weeks.

If you need help filing your claim or with online services, call toll-free (866) 500-0017 (Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM; Saturday 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM)

To apply online for Unemployment Insurance benefits (recommended), you must have:

  • Worked in Michigan in the last 18 months
  • Worked for a covered employer that paid in UI

You can also apply by phone.

If applying online, you will need the following information:

  • Social Security Number
  • Driver’s license or state identification card
  • Current address, phone number, and date of birth
  • Employment history for the past 18 months including;
    • Employers’ business names and addresses
    • First and last date that you worked for each employer
    • Reason you are no longer working for each employer
  • Your most recent employer’s Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) account number or Federal ID number (which is found on your W-2 form)
  • Alien Registration number and the date your work authorization expires if you are not a US citizen

I filed my unemployment claim several weeks ago. Will I receive back pay once my claim is approved?

The UIA continues to work through unemployment claims filed under the programs enacted by the Cares Act.  Although the UIA has improved the turnaround time for its claim processing, there are still many outstanding claims that have not been processed. The FPUC $600 per week additional benefit expired during the week of July 25. If you have filed an unemployment claim before that date and are still awaiting a response regarding your eligibility for unemployment, you will receive retroactive payments for the back weeks of FPUC even if the decision is not made until after the July 25 expiration date.  If you are not eligible for regular unemployment, you may be able to collect benefits under the PUA program.  To determine if you are eligible to participate, you must complete a PUA application. Once your eligibility is determined, instructions will be sent to your MiWAM account as to how to file weekly claims.  If you were eligible for PUA benefits for weeks that have already passed, you would be able to file weekly claims and recover back pay due to you.

Can I collect unemployment benefits if my employer reduced my hours to part-time?

According to the UIA, individuals who are partially unemployed due to a reduction of hours may be able to collect unemployment benefits.  Recipients that work less than a combined 32 hours per week for all employers and earn less than $500 may be eligible to receive unemployment benefits.

Why did I receive a stop payment indicator notice on my account?

The UIA has taken additional steps to prevent identity theft and fraud attempts on the state’s unemployment program. To protect claimants, additional information may be requested to verify identity and eligibility. Claimants who receive this notice on their account will be emailed instructions advising them how to submit the requested information to receive your benefits. If you have not received this notice, there is no need to act at this time.

“Stop Payment Indicator” Notice. If you received a “Stop Payment Indicator” notice on your account, detailed instructions have been emailed and mailed to you on how to submit additional identifying information in order to receive your benefits. There is no reason to take further action until you receive the instructions.

See additional FAQ from the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity about employment benefits


Subscribe via email or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube to get the latest news and updates


Unemployment benefits in Michigan: how to certify and prove the work search requirement

Michigan residents who are currently receiving state unemployment benefits will now have to prove that they are actively looking for work to get the financial support, after a rule change was introduced.

From 30 May onwards residents are required to fulfil the work search criteria, which had been removed at the start of the pandemic to help those who were out of work. However as the state’s economic recovery continues recipients of unemployment support will now have to justify their eligibility.

Why do I need to certify the Michigan work search requirement?

Returning to the pre-pandemic system, Michigan residents who claim unemployment benefits will need to report at least one ‘work search activity’ for every week that they are claiming the support. Work search activities must be reported to the state’s Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) and benefits will not be paid until the process has been completed.

The state’s Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity website warns: “Make sure you understand your responsibilities when it comes to conducting and documenting your work search to avoid mistakes which could result in you not receiving benefits or having to repay the benefits you receive.”

Most residents who claim unemployment benefits will need to report their work search activities to the UIA, but some may receive waivers that exempt them from the process. These waivers must be applied for separately, which can be done on the Work Search Waivers online portal, but are typically limited to the following reasons:

  • You are a parent home-schooling your child due to pandemic-related school closures
  • You are unable to work due to covid-related reasons
  • You are self-employed and qualify for the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) programme

How can I fulfil the Michigan work search requirement?

Fulfilling a weekly work search requirement can seem like a daunting task, particularly when the number of job opportunities has been severely impacted by the pandemic, but the process need not be overwhelming. There is no definitive list of activities which can be used to demonstrate a work search, but the following are given as examples:

  • applying for job vacancies, whether in person or online
  • attending job fairs
  • creating a profile on a professional networking platform (such as LinkedIn) or a job-finding website
  • participating in online workshops or seminars related to your job search

The first time you need to provide details of your work search activity will come when you certify your benefits for the week ending 5 June. The best way to do so is by using the state’s Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM), which will prompt you to add all relevant details to the portal.

Alternatively, if you are not able to access the online system you can allow complete the weekly process by telephone with MARVIN on 866-638-3993. You will first be asked a series of automated questions before being connected with an agent to complete the process.



Filing for Unemployment Benefits

A claim for unemployment benefits begins the week it is filed. Workers should file their claim during their first week of unemployment. There are two ways to file a new claim or re-open an existing claim:

1. FASTEST AND PREFERRED METHOD: To file a claim online, visit and sign into MILogin to access or create an account on the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM).

For step by step instructions on how to create an account, view the MiWAM Toolkit for Claimants.

2. File a claim by telephone, call 1-866-500-0017. If you are hearing impaired, TTY service is available at 1-866- 366-0004.

What do I need to file a claim?
  • Social Security number
  • Employment information for the past 18 months: employer name and address, first/last day worked/ gross earnings
  • Your address, phone number, date of birth
  • Non-Citizens Alien registration and the expiration date of your work authorization card
  • Driver’s License or State ID
  • Register for Work

    Beginning November 7, 2021, unemployed workers filing a new claim for benefits will be required to register for work with Michigan Works! and verify their registration with either an in person or virtual appointment.

    To register for work, claimants must complete the following two steps:

    First Step: Visit to create a job seeker profile on the Pure Michigan Talent Connect (PMTC). This is required.

    Second Step: Meet with staff from a local Michigan Works! Service Center either virtually OR in person at least one business day before the first certification.

    In-Person Registration:

  • Bring your Driver's License, Passport, or State ID for proof of identity.
  • Bring your MiLogin information to log into your Pure Michigan Talent Connect (PMTC) account.
  • To allow sufficient time for unemployment registration, all individuals should arrive at no later than 3:30 p.m.

  • Virtual Registration:
  • You will need to contact our office at 248-823-5101 to schedule a virtual appointment.
  • Have access to a valid email address in order to receive the link to the virtual session.
  • Have an active and updated profile on the Pure Michigan Talent Connect (PMTC).
  • You must have a camera on your phone or computer to participate in the virtual registration.
  • Have your Driver's License, Passport, or State ID for proof of identity and visual identification.

  • Claimants will receive an email confirmation when registration is complete and verified. If claimants don't meet with Michigan Works! Service Center staff to verify their registration it could delay the payment of unemployment benefits.

    Back to top

    UIA Training Waivers

    Are you going to school or training and collecting unemployment benefits?  To collect unemployment benefits, claimants are required to be available for and actively seeking full-time employment. The claimant can not refuse a job offer of suitable work due to their enrollment into school or training.  However, the law states that if a claimant is making satisfactory progress in an approved vocational training program, they can continue to receive their benefits even though they are not available or seeking work.

    Contact us to schedule an appointment for a Waiver of UI Eligibility:
    Claimants in training requesting a waiver need to schedule and attend a Waiver of UI Eligibility appointment.  During the appointment, Troy Michigan Works! will help claimants to complete the required waiver request forms.  Claimants are required to supply specific information regarding their training during the session.  Please review the Waiver of UI Eligibility Requirements and bring the required documentation on your appointment day to complete the Waiver of UI Eligibility forms.

    Once the forms are complete, Troy Michigan Works! will forward your documents and request to the UIA.  UIA will issue a written determination to the claimant stating the waiver has been granted or it has been denied and why.   Instructions on how to certify bi-weekly to MARVIN while on a waiver will also be included.

    Important !!!  UI Waiver Forms can be submitted no earlier than 2-3 weeks prior to when the school semester begins.

    Back to top

    Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment (RESEA)

    RESEA provides for the early identification of those Unemployment Insurance claimants considered most likely to have an extended duration of unemployment or to exhaust their benefits before finding a job. Early intervention can help claimants find suitable employment before their unemployment insurance benefits are exhausted. RESEA focuses on claimants who will receive an unemployment insurance check within five weeks of filing. Claimants are selected by the Unemployment Insurance Agency.

    Individuals selected for RESEA will receive a notification letter from UIA. The notification letter will include contact information for Michigan Works locations. The claimant must contact a local center to schedule a date and time to begin the process for RESEA requirements. If a claimant fails to report for the scheduled meeting, it may result in the loss of benefits. 

    Back to top

    Contact UIA

    MARVIN: 1-866-638-3993

    MARVIN is the UIA’s toll-free automated telephone system you call every other week to claim unemployment benefits.

    Telephone Inquiries: 1-866-500-0017

    If you have any questions, concerns, or issues in regards to your unemployment claim, you need to contact UIA.  They are the only agency that has access to your claim and information.

    UIA FAX: 1-517-636-0427

    Claimants can fax required documents to UIA such as Fact Finding Forms and any additional documents that need to be submitted.

    Schedule An Appointment:

    Schedule an appointment(in-person, phone, or virtual) to speak with a Customer Service Agent. Select the date, time, and type of appointment you would like to schedule. Local Unemployment offices are open for in-person service by appointment only. Walk-in appointments will not be accepted.

    Problem Resolution Office Locations:

    Cadillac Place – 3024 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, Michigan 48202 (in the lobby)
    Sterling Heights Office - 43015 Hayes Road, Sterling Heights, Michigan 48313

    Back to top

    UIA Resources, Forms & Publications

    Unemployment Insurance 101
    UIA Employee Claim Tutorials
    UIA MiLogin FAQ
    MiWAM Toolkit for Claimants
    Work Registration Requirement
    Publications and Fact Sheets
    Waiver of UI Eligibility Requirements

    Back to top


    youtube video

    Michigan unemployment application process riddled with challenges
    apply for unemployment online michigan

    : Apply for unemployment online michigan

    John trentacosta newtown savings bank
    Indigo credit card customer service email
    apply for unemployment online michigan

    1 Replies to “Apply for unemployment online michigan”

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *