youtube videoOpen Bank of America Bank Account Online - Bank of America Online Bank Account
Local Banking Services
Representatives from local banks are present on campus during orientation to assist students with their banking needs. While a local checking or savings account is not required, having one does offer the advantage of writing checks to off-campus businesses who might not accept out-of-town checks. Most local banks do offer special student banking services aimed at their specific needs. Additionally, there are a few banks in the community who offer branches in locations outside of Ithaca and/or internationally, so you can take your account with you when you leave Cornell.
The Bursar's office also offers direct deposit of student refund checks to provide students with quick access to their student refunds via electronic deposit to their own checking or savings account.
Banking Locations On or Near Campus
There are local banks who have full-service branches on campus as well as conveniently located ATM's. For branches located off-campus, the closest branch information has been displayed. For more information and other locations, contact the bank of your choice.
Click the items below to learn more.
Money & Finances
How to Choose a Bank
- When looking for a bank, shop around a bit since fees can vary - you should especially consider fees and policies for the types of transactions you will be making most frequently, such as wire transfers, direct deposits, ATM withdrawals, online banking, and bill payments.
- Be sure to select a bank that has ATMs near your residence or work for your convenience.
- Ask your friends and colleagues for recommendations.
- Always inquire about no fee accounts or other special offers. Some banks will eliminate fees based on a Yale affiliation, or if you arrange direct deposit of your paycheck or stipend, while others require a minimum balance.
- If you will be transferring funds to and from overseas, remember to ask about the details since some banks can accommodate this better than others.
How to Open a Bank Account
- To open a bank account, you will bank of america international student account opening two forms of photo ID. You can use your Yale ID and passport.
- You will also need your immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) and proof of your local New Haven address, such as a utility bill addressed to you.
- You do not need a Social Security Number (SSN). If the teller states that you need an SSN, you can ask to speak to a manager and inform them you are an international student/scholar.
- You will fill out a W-8, which is a statement of foreign residence in lieu of presenting a Social Security card.
- Most students and scholars at Yale open both a savings and a checking account.
- When handling cash, never deposit cash in an ATM. Go into the bank to make any cash deposits, and ask for a receipt when you do.
- Do not keep large sums of money on your person or in your apartment.
- When using an ATM be sure that no one is standing close enough to see your PIN and/or if you withdrew cash.
Most banks issue a debit card with the opening of a bank account. A debit card not only looks like, but functions like a credit card; the main difference being that charges are directly taken from your bank account. Paying with a debit card can help you budget your expenses since you must always be careful you have enough funds in your account to cover any charges.
You need a credit history to get a credit card, so initially it might be difficult to obtain one. Many students and scholars will use their debit card as an alternative before they have established a credit history. Once you have begun to establish credit, your credit card company will periodically raise your credit limit and it will not necessarily correspond to what you can actually afford. That is why you should be very careful while spending with credit cards.
U.S. credit card companies offer greatly varying arrangements - from cards that require security deposits, a membership fee, and high monthly interest rates (APR), to cards with no membership fee, and low to no interest rates at all. Once you have established some credit history by owning a card for six months or more, you may wish to shop around or call your credit community choice financial credit union company and ask for a better arrangement such as lower interest rates or no membership fee. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission provides consumers helpful information about choosing and using credit cards. You will need a U.S. Social Security Number to apply for a credit card.
Open an account that goes beyond the everyday
$300 Cash Offer for Preferred Package or $350 Cash Offer for Ultimate Package Conditions:
To qualify for the $300 cash offer for Preferred Package or $350 cash offer for Ultimate Package (each an “Offer”, collectively the “Offers), you must:
1. Open a new Ultimate Package or new Preferred Package (each an “Eligible Account”) by December 16, 2021; and
2. Complete any two (2) of the following activities in your Eligible Account within 60 days of Eligible Account opening:
- Make at least one (1) eligible online bill payment† of at least $50 through the Scotiabank Mobile App or through Scotia OnLine, or
- Set up and clear a minimum of two (2) separate eligible recurring pre-authorized transactions† with a minimum value of at least $50 per transaction which will each recur monthly for a minimum of three (3) consecutive months, or
- Set up and clear at least one eligible automated and recurring direct deposit†, such as payroll or pension, which will recur monthly for a minimum of three (3) consecutive months.
† Click here for a list of eligible direct deposits, pre-authorized transactions and online bill payments. Notwithstanding a transaction may be included in these lists, certain exclusions bank of america international student account opening still apply and Scotiabank reserves the right to modify these lists and to determine whether a specific direct deposit, pre-authorized transaction or bill payment is eligible for the Offers.Fund transfers initiated to other Scotiabank accounts (one time or recurring, e.g. credit card or savings account), to chequing or savings accounts held at other financial institutions, or to payment processing firms, are not eligible for the Offers.
Eligibility and Exclusions: Individuals who are currently holders of a Scotiabank Chequing Account are not eligible for the Offers. Individuals who were previously holders of a Scotiabank Chequing Account within the last two (2) years are not eligible for the Offers. “Scotiabank Chequing Account” means any of the following accounts: Ultimate Package, Preferred Package, Scotia One Account, Basic Plus Bank Account, Basic Banking Plan, Basic Bank Account, Momentum Chequing, Power Chequing, Scotia One Service, Scotia Value, Student First interstate bank in missoula montana Advantage Plan. Employees of Scotiabank are also not eligible for the Offers.
General Terms: The $300 cash bonus for Preferred Package or $350 cash bonus for Ultimate Package will be deposited to the Eligible Account within six (6) months from account open date provided all Offer conditions outlined above have been met. The Eligible Bank of america international student account opening must be open and in good standing until the time of payout of the cash bonus. The Eligible Account is not in "good standing" if: (i)it has a negative balance exceeding the authorized overdraft limit, or (ii)it has been in continuous overdraft for a period of three consecutive months. These Offers are non-transferable and may not be duplicated. Limit of one (1) Offer per customer, regardless of the number of Eligible Accounts opened. If more than one (1) Eligible Account is opened, only the first Eligible Account opened will be eligible for the Offer. For joint accounts, only one (1) cash bonus Offer will be applied to the primary account holder’s Eligible Account. All rates, fees, features and benefits are subject to change. Offers may be changed, cancelled or extended at any time without notice and uk phone country code from usa be combined with any other offers.
Opening a bank account
Most banks will provide overseas students with a basic account when they are in the UK. However, if you are here for six months or less your options may be more limited.
If you are allowed to open an account it will be a basic bank account. This will mean you will be able to:
- access cash via a cash machine.
- set up direct debits or standing orders.
You may be bank of america international student account opening to open a student account which will provide additional services such as overdraft facilities and a credit card. However, students who have had previous credit problems may not be able to open a student account.
You should choose a bank which has a branch in St Andrews which can be more convenient for certain transactions such as transferring funds.
University Bank Letter
Please note that the University's Bank Letter is for use with bank branches in St Andrews only (excluding Barclays who are not accepting the letter at this time).
Choosing a bank
There are five banks in St Andrews:
All of these banks have arrangements with both English and overseas banks.
There are also a number of online and app-based banks that offer accounts to students. You can read an overview and a review of the main providers on the Save the Student website. Santander also offer student accounts that can be opened online.
How to apply
Many banks now offer an online account application process; please check the website of your bank of choice for details. Applying online will speed up the account opening process once you have arrived in St Andrews.
Students need to take the following forms of identification to a bank in order to open an account:
- appropriate visa or biometric card (a biometric card is only issued to students that have made a visa application from within the UK)
- letter from the University – this can be downloaded via MySaint.
The downloaded bank letter can only be used at the above five local bank branches in St Andrews as they have an agreement with the University.
If you are opening a bank account with the Royal Bank of Scotland and you are not living in University accommodation, you do not require the above letter from the University but you do require a copy of your tenancy agreement.
If your term-time address is not within the University residence system, you may be required to provide a copy of bank of america international student account opening lease or tenancy agreement as confirmation of your term-time address.
All banks are required to check the identity of anyone opening a bank account as part of the UK government strategy to combat organised crime with anti-fraud legislation. This involves rigorous checks for all individuals who may wish to open bank accounts. This may delay the opening of the bank account so please be patient.
How to open a bank account
- Present your bank of america international student account opening to the member of staff in the bank who will assist you in completing the appropriate application form.
- The application will normally be approved and the number of your bank account will be allocated within one to two days. Only at this point will the bank be able to start processing deposits and withdrawals. Until you have received your card from the bank, you can complete transactions at the branch where you opened your account using your passport.
- Within five to ten working days, you should receive your bank card. This is normally sent to your St Andrews address, or you can pick this up at the branch. Once you have this card, you can make deposits and withdrawals in other branches of your bank.
- Within another five working days, you should receive your security number (PIN). This is normally mailed to your St Andrews address or you can pick it up from the branch. Once you have your PIN, you can complete transactions using the cash machines around the UK. Never tell anyone else your PIN.
If you experience any difficulties opening your bank account, please contact the money adviser at Student Services by emailing [email protected] or call in at the Advice and Support Centre (ASC) at 79 North Street.
Making a deposit
Take cash and cheques into your bank, complete a pay-in slip and hand it over to the cashier. Cash will be in your account on the same day as you deposit it at your branch. Cheques can take up to five working days to clear if the cheque is drawn on another UK bank account. If someone else is paying into your bank account, he or she will need to know your account number, sort code, account name, and the name, address and postcode of your bank – and if it is an international transfer, the bank’s IBAN number.
Please remember you will need available funds initially for transport, meals and general living costs.
Most banks will accept Mastercard, American Express, Eurocard and Visa. These can be used to withdraw cash from cash machines, provided you have the correct PIN number. Please check if you are thinking about bringing another credit card or a prepaid credit card as not all banks or businesses will accept them.
Multi-Year Advantage for undergraduate student loans
We encourage students and families to start with savings, grants, scholarships, and federal student loans to pay for college. Students and families should evaluate all anticipated monthly loan payments, and how much the student expects to earn in the future, before considering bank of america international student account opening private student loan.
1. You must apply for a new loan each school year. This approval percentage is based on students with a Sallie Mae undergraduate loan in the 2019/20 school year who were approved when they returned in 2020/21. It does not include the denied applications of students who were ultimately approved in 2020/21.
2. This loan is for undergraduate students at participating degree-granting schools. Students who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents bank of america international student account opening reside in the U.S., attend a participating school in the U.S., apply with a creditworthy cosigner (who must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident) and provide an unexpired government-issued photo ID to verify their identity. Applications are subject to a requested minimum loan amount of $1,000. Current credit and other eligibility criteria apply. Interest is charged starting when funds are sent to the school. With the Fixed and Deferred Repayment Options, the interest rate is higher than with the Interest Repayment Option and Unpaid Interest is added to the loan’s Current Principal at the end of the grace/separation period. Payments may be required during the grace/separation period depending on the repayment option selected. Variable rates may increase over the life of the loan. Advertised variable rates reflect the starting range of rates and may vary outside of that range over the life of the loan. Advertised APRs assume a $10,000 loan to a borrower who attends school for 4 years and has no prior Sallie Mae loans. The borrower or cosigner must enroll in auto debit through Sallie Mae to receive a 0.25 percentage point interest rate bank of america international student account opening benefit. This benefit applies only during active repayment for as long as the Current Amount Due or Designated Bank of america international student account opening is successfully withdrawn from the authorized bank account each month. It may be suspended during forbearance or deferment, if available for the loan.
3. Loan amount cannot exceed the cost bank of america international student account opening attendance less financial aid received, as certified by the school. Sallie Mae reserves the right to approve a lower loan amount than the school-certified amount. Miscellaneous personal expenses (such as a laptop) may be included in the cost of attendance for students enrolled at least half-time.
4. This promotional benefit is provided at no cost to borrowers with undergraduate, graduate, or parent loans with a first disbursement between May 1, 2021 and April 30, 2022. Borrowers are not eligible to activate the benefit until July 1, 2021. Borrowers who reside in, attend school in, or borrow for a student attending school in Maine are bank of america international student account opening eligible for this benefit. Chegg Study® offers expert Q&A where students can submit up to 20 questions per month. No cash value. Terms and Conditions apply. Please visit http://www.chegg.com/legal/smtermsandconditions for complete details. This offer expires one year after issuance.
The Sallie Mae Ignite, Sallie Mae Accelerate, and Sallie Mae Evolve credit cards are issued by Sallie Mae Bank pursuant to a license by Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard and World Mastercard are registered trademarks, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Sallie Mae loans are made by Sallie Mae Bank.
Information advertised valid as of 11/25/2021.
SALLIE MAE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY OR DISCONTINUE PRODUCTS, SERVICES, AND BENEFITS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. CHECK SALLIEMAE.COM FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE PRODUCT INFORMATION.